Saturday, March 2, 2024
HomeNewsDriver inhaled laughing gas and filmed himself at 98mph before crash killed...

Driver inhaled laughing gas and filmed himself at 98mph before crash killed teenager

A motorist has been jailed for filming himself on Snapchat driving at speeds of almost 100mph seconds before an accident in which his 17-year-old passenger was killed.

Nadia Yusuf died after Rohail Jillani, 25, crashed the Mercedes he was driving into a railway bridge on the Mancunian Way, Manchester, in January of last year. 

A second male passenger aged 18 sustained significant life-changing injuries as a result of the accident.

Jillani, of Campbell Road, Manchester, was sentenced to eight years and eight months in prison at Manchester Crown Court yesterday, having pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

He was also disqualified from driving for nine years and ten weeks. 

Greater Manchester Police were called to the collision at about 11.45pm on January 10, 2022.

Jillani had been driving along Mancunian Way with Nadia in the front seat as well as a rear-seat passenger. 

Witnesses said Jillani was balloons contained nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, and recording the journey on Snapchat, undertaking several slower moving vehicles and hitting speeds of 98mph.

As he approached a nearside bend, he lost control of the car, colliding with the offside safety barrier before spinning and smashing into the bridge at the junction of Temperance Street. 

Ms Yusuf was taken to hospital but later died from her injuries. 

Detective Constable Oliver Batty, of GMP’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “Jillani’s actions were reckless and dangerous and have ultimately resulted in a young woman losing her life. 

“Today’s sentence reflects the utter disregard that Jillani had for his passengers and the rules of the road that we, as the public, have to adhere to, day in and day out, to keep each other safe.

“Jillani chose, through his own volition, to use nitrous oxide, drive at excessive speeds and film himself in the moments that preceded this fatal collision.

“And I hope the sentence today brings some closure to Nadia’s family.”

In a tribute released after the sentence was handed down, Ms Yusuf’s family said: “Nadia was the oldest child and a big sister to her five siblings.

“She was an amazing student and community member, and had a passion for helping people.

“She was studying Health and Social Care and was working to become a paediatrician.

“With her passion and determination, there was no doubt she was well on her way to achieve any goal that she put her mind to.”

The statement added:  “Unfortunately, at the age of 17, she was taken from us by Jillani’s reckless actions that could have been prevented and that have left a hole in our family which can never be repaired.

“Although no amount of time behind bars will bring Nadia back or be enough, we have hope that the justice system will prevail and kickstart our healing process. We will miss beautiful Nadia forever .”



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments