Victoria reports 30 more cases of coronavirus overnight as mass testing gets underway

Victoria reports 30 more cases of coronavirus overnight as mass testing gets underway in Melbourne’s cluster suburbs

Victoria has reported another 30 cases of coronavirus on Friday as the state undertakes mass testing in Melbourne’s hotspot suburbs.

Of the new cases, five have been detected through routine testing, five in hotel quarantine and seven linked to known outbreaks.

Another 13 cases are still under investigation. 

Victoria’s Deputy Chief Health Officer Annaliese van Diemen said another 20,000 test results had been processed across the state in the past day alone.   

Victoria has reported another 30 cases of coronavirus on Friday. Pictured a masked pedestrian in Melbourne on Thursday

Victoria has reported another 30 cases of coronavirus on Friday. Pictured a masked pedestrian in Melbourne on Thursday

‘We have received over 736,000 test results in Victoria to date – we are really pleased to those test numbers are increasing,’ she said.

‘Victorians are listening to the messages and getting tested when they are symptomatic or getting tested in the hotspot areas where we are asking people to be tested regardless of symptoms.’  

A health worker at the Orygen Youth Mental Health Facility has the virus, Dr van Diemen told reporters.

‘That facility is now in lockdown and we are working very closely with Melbourne health who run the facility,’ Dr van Diemen said.

‘All of the deep cleaning requirements have been done there and testing will be undertaken as required.’

A McDonald’s worker has also been confirmed as having the coronavirus and is linked to the Wollert outbreak, which Dr van Diemen said was linked to ‘various household parties and gatherings’.

‘The St Monica’s outbreak has now been renamed as the Wollert outbreak because it has been apparent the major driver of this outbreak has been social occasions with some spillover into the school, so the worker at McDonald’s is linked to that outbreak,’ she said.

Victoria's Deputy Chief Health Officer Annaliese van Diemen said 20,000 test results had been processed in the state in the past day

Victoria’s Deputy Chief Health Officer Annaliese van Diemen said 20,000 test results had been processed in the state in the past day

There are 183 active cases in Victoria with six in hospital. More than 1,700 people have recovered from the virus in the state. 

Dr van Diemen added health officials were working to contain two cases confirmed at a Coles distribution centre in Laverton in south-west Melbourne. 

‘One of those cases is very clearly linked to a large outbreak at Keilor Downs, so we do have a very clear source of acquisition for that,’ she said.

The Keilor Downs family outbreak in north-west Melbourne has now swelled to 19 infections, while a North Melbourne cluster has reached 15 cases.  

More to come 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *